The New Heights Student- Athlete Summer Academy is a five- week, comprehensive academic, athletic and leadership development program for rising 5th- 8th grade student- athletes.
- Exposing middle school students to the high school environment.
- Preparing participants for high school by addressing test prep, school choices and apps.
- Developing students' academic skills, especially basic reading, writing and mathematics.
- Developing students' basketball skills and knowledge of the game.
- Developing students' character.
Academic classes are held during the morning portions of Summer Academy and the basketball portion is held during the afternoon.
Sample Class Topics for Summer Academy:
New Heights Live is a course that provides basic grammar, vocabulary and essay-writing instruction aimed at improving fundamental literacy skills.
The Next Level is tied to the New Heights High School Assist program. Rising eighth graders work on test preparation (primarily TACHS, SHSAT, ISEE and SSAT), the high school application process and their exploration of high school options.
Inside the Numbers is a Math class based on four elements – mini-lessons, basketball simulation projects, game centers and journaling.
Hot Takes is an ELA class designed to fight Summer Learning Loss through four high-interest and sports-relevant debate topics.
Fueling Success is a nutrition course that is designed to help our student-athletes develop healthy eating habits and lifestyles.