New Heights’ core program, College Bound, offers comprehensive middle school and high school educational programming and support services to approximately 200 students annually and takes place daily during after-school and Saturday hours and throughout the day during the summer.
Throughout our programming, New Heights is relentless in our support of our student-athletes and we serve as a valuable resource to their families. We involve parents and family members in the College Bound program through frequent check-ins by phone or email, home and school visits, and informational workshops throughout the year. We also support our families through crises by making referrals to social services and acting as a parallel family in times of need.
College Bound is comprised of five components that all work synergistically to help New Heights participants achieve success on and off the basketball court:
- Basketball and Leadership Development – New Heights fields 14 travel basketball teams that compete in tournaments throughout the region and the country. The basketball program serves several purposes. First, it is a hook that keeps participants engaged in our academic program. Second, the basketball court is a classroom where leadership and life skills are developed. Third, because our teams travel to tournaments at colleges and in cities throughout the country, the basketball program exposes participants to educational opportunities and new people, places and experiences.
- Academic Support – All College Bound students benefit from a variety of regular academic enrichment programs, including general/subject specific academic instruction and tutoring and life skills development.
- High School Assist, which helps sixth through eighth grade student-athletes succeed in middle school and leverage that success to gain admission to an excellent college preparatory high school.HS Assist offers academic instruction/tutoring, homework help, life skills development and test preparation for sixth through eighth graders.
- College Assist, which provides our high school student-athletes with the individual support necessary to be successful in high school and to prepare for college. College Assist support includes SAT and other test preparation, high school counseling, application/financial aid workshops, college visits and NCAA eligibility and recruiting guidance (if applicable).
- Student-Athlete Summer Academy – The Summer Academy provides High School Assist student-athletes with intensive academic, athletic and leadership development through a full-day five-week program, which is intended to build confidence and athletic ability while preventing the learning loss that often accompanies summer break. The academic programming of the Summer Academy focuses on communications and math skill development through activities such as essay writing and quantitative problem solving. Throughout the summer, New Heights emphasizes the core values of TREE (Teamwork, Respect, Effort and Excellence).